COMPASS Placement Tests
The Office of Learning Assistance administers the COMPASS placement test required of all incoming first-year students, PSEO students, and some transfer students. The COMPASS test is an assessment test and is designed to help analyze a student’s current abilities in reading, writing and mathematics. We use the test to place students in classes that are appropriately challenging, but not overwhelming. It is not an entrance exam and it is not pass/fail.
How to schedule the COMPASS test:
- After you have been accepted go to www.regionals.muohio.edu/checklist to schedule.
- If you are a student without computer access or computer proficiency please call 513.785.3139 for assistance with scheduling.
How to prepare:
- Get a good night’s sleep. Eat a healthy meal. Reschedule if you are sick.
- DO THE PRACTICE TESTS. Writing | Reading | Math 1 | Math 2 | ESL/ELL
- More COMPASS Math Prep (PDF)
The day of the test:
- Arrive at least 10 minutes early. Late arrivals will have to reschedule.
- Other than a calculator (TI84 or lower) or pens/pencils, no outside materials are allowed. We have calculators that you can use.
- Bring a photo ID. No ID = no test.
- Cell phones and most electronic devices are strictly prohibited!
If you are a student with a disability who may be entitled to an accommodation on the test please call The Office of Disability Services at (513) 785-3211 before scheduling the COMPASS test.
You will need to report to 102 Rentschler no later than 10 minutes prior to the start of the test in order to get checked in. Testing starts promptly at the scheduled time. If you are late you will have to reschedule.
The test requires about two hours for most students to complete.